Get in touch with us if you would like more information or have a question.

New documents will be added to our website regularly as work progresses. 

 Subscribe to receive alerts when new documents are published

General enquiries

Phone: +64 3 966 9221 
Write: PO Box 414, Greymouth 7840
Physical address: Unit 2, 36-46 Tainui Street, Greymouth 7805

After hours: 
Pike River Mine, call 027 247 9019
Greymouth Agency office, call 021 875 079

Media enquiries

For media queries please call 03 789 6522, or if no response, 021 872 810 or email our media desk.  If you have an urgent media query after hours, ring 03 789 6522.

If you are visiting the Pike River Mine site, please read the Agency's Media Site Protocols [PDF, 409 KB] document.

Recruitment enquiries

If you are interested in Agency advertised positions, please email with your application, or to ask any questions.

Official Information Act requests

Sources of information

Before requesting official information (Official Information Act 1982 ) from Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau mā Iwa — Pike River Recovery Agency, we encourage you to check our sources of information below as you may find the information you need is already publicly available.

OIA request response times while the country is dealing with COVID-19

How to make a request

Requests should include your name, your postal address or preferred email address, and specific details of the information you want.

Email or post your request to PO Box 414, Greymouth 7840.

How long will it take?

We will acknowledge your request as soon as practical and respond no later than 20 working days after we receive it. For large requests or those requiring consultation, the Official Information Act allows for a time limit extension. If so, we will let you know and give you a specific due date.

Withholding information

We may withhold information for specific reasons. If this occurs, we will explain the reasons why. For more information please refer to sections 6, 9 and 18 of the Official Information Act .


If you are unhappy with our response, contact us in the first instance. You have the right to seek a review of the response by the Ombudsman .

Please note that the response to your OIA request may be published on the Agency’s website.  Personal details will be removed from the letter.

OIA statistics

To see statistics for the Pike River Recovery Agency (and other Government departments) OIA requests, visit: .

Graphic of OIA statistics for year ending 30 June 2021

OIA stats 2019 - 2020 image2018 - 2019 OIA statistics

Pike River Recovery Agency OIA statistics to 080321


Complaining to an agency

Write to the Chief Executive to make your complaint -, attention Chief Executive.

Set out your complaint as clearly and briefly as possible. Include:

  • your name and contact details
  • relevant dates, places and times
  • a description of the problem, incident or decision at issue
  • details of any phone conversations, meetings or other steps you’ve already taken to try and sort the problem out
  • any other information you think is important
  • any relevant documents.

Tell us what action you think should be taken. Your letter will be acknowledged in writing and the Agency will give you an estimate of how long it will take to deal with your complaint. If there’s any urgency, please let us know and explain why.

If your complaint isn’t resolved

If your complaint hasn’t been resolved to your satisfaction or hasn’t been responded to, you can contact the Ombudsman.
Complain to the Ombudsman